Posted by : Amrit Monday 12 August 2013

Cast: Shahrukh Khan, Deepika Padukone

Directed by: Rohit Shetty

Movie Geeks Rating: ★★

Also featured in IMDb Critic Reviews


So, I watched Chennai Express yesterday at PVR Priya. As soon as I entered the theater, the movie has already started and I heard these words "Mera naam Rahul hai". I thought SRK is back to doing what he does the best; Romance; but no, he was not only up to that. Well, he tried Action and comedy too.


The Plot: Rahul's grandfather has died and he is going to Rameshwaram to dispose off his grandfather's ashes as it was his last wish. This led him to board the "Chennai Express" and the movie is all about that.

A refreshing start: The film started off with introductions of Rahul's family and it was good seeing Shahrukh as a regular guy with a regular life and it was very comforting to hear that he is finally playing a 40 years old character.

Going smooth: The movie was gripping till the time when Rahul boarded the train and left the train and then boarded it again, it was lovely seeing the famous "let me grab you up on the train" SRK scene all over again [that too 5 times in a row]; actually this is Deepika's 2nd time with this kind of scene, she did this in YJHD as well, I believe.

A Sudden downfall: After the Chennai Express crosses a few stations, the movie started to lose its charm, with unnecessary attempts to make people laugh. Something was just not right with the film, which made me feel bored for a good 50 minutes before and after the interval.

Good moments: There is hardly any good moment but the references to SRK's previous movies were funny, that's all.

The End: The last few minutes of the film were tolerable with the song I was awaiting the whole time "Tera rasta main chhodun na" sung by Amitabh Bhattacharya and the part when they reach Rameshwaram. They did overcome a lot from the time when I was not enjoying it at all.

Action: It ended with a fight scene which was kind of weird, I never like SRK fighting people double his size, watching Salman Khan doing the same is such a pleasure.  Overall, the film  may be a one-time watch or may not be, I went to watch it for the sake of my family's entertainment but I don't they were entertained at all.

A final note: Although, I didn't really like Chennai Express, I completely understand its box-office collection. When someone has worked for 20 years in an industry and delivered great performances like the ones in Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa, Baazigar, Darr, DDLJ, Pardes, Devdas, Swades, Chak De India, Don, Rab ne Bana Di Jodi and My Name is Khan, you can't expect people to not go and watch his one bad film. So, what if Chennai express is a one time watch, the population of India is still 1.241 billion.

-------------------------

-------------------------
PS: Since Movie Geek's Blog is trying to determine the greatest movie ever made as voted by its readers, will you please take a minute to vote for your favorite movie(s) on the right side bar of this blog?

{ 2 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. If anything, SRK probably deserves a 6 for Effort. Just from the trailers I can tell that he has worked very hard on the film.
    Why he can't work as hard to do better projects like Aamir, or even the occasional kind that Akshay does, is beyond me. The last good movie he did was probably Chak De, India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, this time its not SRK who ruined the film, he did ruin Jab tak hai jaan, though the film was equally pathetic. Chennai Express turned out to be an illogical film with little bit humor. I hope Shahrukh put the same effort in a good film..!!

    ReplyDelete

Sample Advertisement 2

Sample Advertisement 2

Which is the Greatest English Language Film Ever Made?

Followers

Popular Post

FB Followers

Author: Amrit Rukhaiyaar 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Pages

- Copyright © Movie Geek's Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Amritt Rukhaiyaar -