Posted by : Amrit Wednesday 2 April 2014

Cast: Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger

Directed by: Tim Burton

Also featured in IMDb Critic Reviews

If you watch 1989’s Batman right after watching Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy, you will end up comparing the two franchises and won’t be able to relish this great Batman film Tim Burton made.

Batman was made 25 years ago and still it’s one of Burton’s best works, perhaps the late 1980s and the early 1990s was the time when Tim Burton made his greatest films. Beetlejuice, Batman, Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and what not; we can easily say that Tim Burton’s best is now behind him.
Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson 
Before watching a Batman film, a true Batman fan must have imagined a Gotham City pretty similar to what we see in this film. The Gotham here was dark, mysterious and unsafe, a place which deserves a vigilante, with the right mix of colors to not make it look too realistic and thus retaining the Comic book impression. This is one of those details where I find Burton’s Batman better than Nolan’s Batman.

Although I believe Christian Bale was the better Batman actor of the two, I have no hesitation saying that I found Michael Keaton much more convincing as Bruce Wayne. He was unbelievably charming and complacent as Bruce and even as the Batman he looked terrifying in that Batsuit.

Jack Nicholson’s brilliant portrayal of The Joker is always overshadowed by the iconic Heath Ledger’s performance as The Joker. This is an uneven comparison and is unfair for both of them, the films were different in tone and so is the interpretation of that character, which suited their respective films. The Joker played by Nicholson was actually Jack Napier who was a mafia rank and worked in a gang. It was only after his boss planned his execution; he survived and became the Joker after his face is damaged in a chemical factory. On the other hand, the Joker played by Heath Ledger was more dark and mysterious with a mentality to extract evil from the best of people. He was a loner, a psychopath and had more issues than just money. Ledger will always be my pick, but Jack Nicholson was great in his own way.

The Dark Knight Trilogy films were way better but Burton’s Batman was a better Batman film, especially for a Batman fanatic, this is gold. The over the top acting by Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, the technically sound fight sequences and that remarkable background score by Hans Zimmer makes the dark knight trilogy an outstanding action film franchise and also enlist it with some of the greatest films ever made but for a batman film, this one is closer to my heart because of the non-realistic and conventional approach with which it was made.

The conventional Batman and Gotham City I am talking about was pretty much visible in Batman Begins. The other two films were better movies but lesser batman like. I am not here to criticize Nolan’s Batman films but only because Christopher Nolan made such amazing Batman films, it is important to talk about it when you are talking about Batman. Any review of any Batman film is compared with the kind of benchmark Nolan created with The Dark Knight Trilogy, so even being a critic here, I am admiring his films in the first place.

Burton’s Batman has many flaws all through but still very delightful and the gadgets were funny yet intriguing. Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent were not significant at all in this film but nobody cared about them till we came across Gary Oldman’s Gordon and Aaron Eckhart’s Dent in the Nolan’s Batman films; full marks to Nolan there for emphasizing those important characters.

Nolan’s batman was definitely a better film according to me and a majority of people but it can’t be denied that Burton achieved the feat to make the comic book world look real whereas Nolan’s Dark Knight was more realistic and totally out of the comic book world. Burton’s character weren't deep and it was something Nolan perfected in his films.

This is not a typical review where you talk about a film for its own substance; I have reviewed it while keeping Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy in the background. Only because Batman is a subject where one cannot talk about a film without comparing it with the Nolan’s films.

Movie Geek’s Rating★★★★
-------------------------

[This post is a part of the A to Z Challenge in April 2014. Let's celebrate blogging.]

{ 46 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. I like Batman movies and I totally enjoy playing Batman games :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book and the movie too.... loved the review too.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty exhaustive review, unfortunately I am yet to see any batman movie :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A movie geek you surely are.. I've never watched the Batman films so closely. Which is why your post makes for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotham needs you :P :D I am a batman fanatic!!!! :P :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Gotham needs me... ? :P good to meet another fanatic :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't watched Batman movies yet! I know , I know! But what can I say I love the cartoons more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what... go watch it my friend :) Batman is not the regular superhero type kiddish stuff.. it is actually good

      Delete
  7. I am yet to read the book.. Batman has been lurking the pages of my to-be-read list for a long time now.

    Ishithaa
    #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness is reading or watching Batman :)

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a Batman movie. Your review makes it a compelling watch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do watch Shilpa... you are going to love it :)

      Delete
  9. I used to enjoy the cartoon but never really got into the movies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do watch it my friend... it's not something you skip :)

      Delete
  10. I didn't know about the old one, but Dark knight was an amazing watch! Specially joker "why so serious" (thats wht I say when somebody is serious in a haunted tone) Now I need to see other parts and the old one after reading you here!!! May be soon after April ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ledger will be my pick always... he was the best joker we ever had... this film gives you the batman feel... a better batman film it is... and the one you say was a better film..

      Delete
  11. I have known batman more through my brother,he loved.....and still does.
    We used to fight over batman stickers glued to cupboards and bags.....
    You took me back to childhood Amrit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pleasure is all mine Sitara... your brother and I share a common love for Batman :)

      Delete
  12. I loved the latest batman movie. Very detailed review. Liked reading your views

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Rajlakshmi... I am loving your family stories a lot :)

      Delete
  13. What an awesome review! Both my Dad and husband are Batman movie fans! Will run this across through them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot Aditi... please show them this review... I am sure they will relate with my love for Batman :)

      Delete
  14. I love the Batman movie series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here belinda... Batman/Bruce Wayne is an awesome character everyone loves

      Delete
  15. You are absolutely right about the fact that Batman Begins is the closest to the Batman of old, the classic hero he once was. The next two films are more about Nolan's vision of good and evil than about Gotham or Batman. Kudos for writing such a fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Murtaza, your words means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  16. I have seen both series and yes I agree with you whole heartedly! Christian Bale as Bruce looks more confident than the real comic one..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Huge Batman fan but I loved Nolan's depiction the best, on all levels :) Maybe that's because I am a hardcore Nolan fan ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan is something unmatchable I must admit.. but its just Batman I prefer Burton :)

      Delete
  18. Not a big fan, just liked the one with George Clooney; )
    Let's see what you give us tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George Clooney one is the only batman one I didn't like... but if you like it, I will give it a rewatch :)

      Delete
  19. You may want to kill me but for me Batman has always been Michael Keaton...and shall stay as well, no matter how many others wear the garb. Anyway, this sure was the best Tim Burton movie :) Great review, Amritt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is indeed the best batman adaptation, glad you agree with me :)

      Delete
  20. Actually I'm not fond of the Dark Knight series and prefer the Burton one, just as I prefer Roger Moore's 007. Ridiculous characters need a sense of humor about things otherwise they're just caricatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoa.. that's exactly my point... these character needs to be a little larger than life and humor and illogical too... too much of realistic approach ruins the fun

      Delete
  21. I loved this Batman movie. Really worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've written quite an interesting review. I've never thought about comparing the Batman movies with the Dark Knight trilogy because they were so different.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This Batman movie was truly one of my favorite because it did carry the comic book feel so well. I think you were spot on with the analysis of Jack Nicholson vs. Heath Ledger as the Joker. Each had their own take on the character and each one nailed their interpretation in relation to the film it was in.

    *~MAJK~*
    A-to-Z Challenge 2014
    Mighty Minion of Co-Host Nicole Ayers
    @Safireblade on Twitter
    http://www.safireblade.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sample Advertisement 2

Sample Advertisement 2

Which is the Greatest English Language Film Ever Made?

Followers

Popular Post

FB Followers

Author: Amrit Rukhaiyaar 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Pages

- Copyright © Movie Geek's Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Amritt Rukhaiyaar -