Posted by : Amrit Wednesday 16 April 2014

I love cinema, irrespective of the language, color, genre or the decade. If it's a good film, I will watch it. I believe 1950s was the most significant period for Hindi films. Some of the most acclaimed films belong to that era; Pyaasa, Kaagaz Ke Phool and Awaara to name a few. 

Although I have a few favorite films from each decade after the 1950s, but on the whole I cannot say that they made too many [percentage wise] critically acclaimed films during the 70s, 80s and 90s with exceptions being Shyam Benegal, Basu Chatterjee, Govind Nihalani, Kundan Shah and some more.


However in the last 10 years, a lot has changed with Indian films, the viewers are open to accept new subjects and improvisations in films. They like anything good, meaning if you make a good film, they will not trash it. They may not make a lot of money, but they surely receive critical reception.There is a whole new wave of actors, actresses and filmmakers that are bringing great change to the otherwise cliched industry we have turned into.

Here is a list of some people who has brought a great change in the ways films are made in the new millennium: [this list is in Alphabetical Order]

Aamir Khan
Abhay Deol
Abhishek Chaubey
Anurag Kashyap
Bejoy Nambiar
Ashutosh Gowariker
Dibakar Banerjee
Farhan Akhtar
Homi Adazania
Imtiaz Ali
Irrfan Khan
Jimmy Shergill
Kalki Koechlin
Kay Kay Menon
Konkona Sen Sharma
Mahi Gill
Manoj Bajpai
Nagesh Kukunoor
Nawazuddin Siddiqui
Piyush Mishra
Rajat Kapoor
Reema Kagti
Sanjay Mishra
Saurabh Shukla
Shimit Amin
Sudhir Mishra
Tigmanshu Dhulia
Vishal Bhardwaj
Vidya Balan
Vikramaditya Motwane
Vinay Pathak
Zoya Akhtar

Let me know if I have missed any, it will help me build a better watchlist

-Amritt Rukhaiyaar

[This post is a part of the A to Z Challenge in April 2014. Let's celebrate blogging.]

{ 10 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. I would have to agree with you. The story line has to be good, the characters have to be life like and the direction has to be precise. This is the recipe for a great movie. The success of a movie cannot be measured solely with the crores it rakes in. The above mentioned list of yours points out to those handful of people who provide us 'cinema with soul'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. couldn't agree more, Radhika..!! A cinema with soul can alone contribute a lot to make a good society.. Welcome to my blog..!! :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa nice compilation... Any doubts about movies, I should ask you I guess!

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! I have seen all those movies you have mentioned here. Will some time share my list of favourites too! Certainly these people have made a huge difference in terms of quality in Indian Cinema. They may not be earning as good as commercial cinema but their work is priceless and ever green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you appreciate parallel cinema... :) and I am so interested in your list.. let me know when you make one

      Delete
  4. Yes, Indian movie scene has undergone significant changes in last 10-15 years by the people in your lists..

    ReplyDelete

Sample Advertisement 2

Sample Advertisement 2

Which is the Greatest English Language Film Ever Made?

Followers

Popular Post

FB Followers

Author: Amrit Rukhaiyaar 2013. Powered by Blogger.

Pages

- Copyright © Movie Geek's Blog -Metrominimalist- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Amritt Rukhaiyaar -